Uzo Aduba Covers UPTOWN Magazine. Talks Her Career And More

Uzo

Nigeria’s Uzo Aduba yesterday was unveiled as the cover girl for UPTOWN magazine. In the interview, the OITNB star talked about her career- filming Orange Is The New Black, her role in NBC’s The Wiz, and more.

Excerpts below:

On her motivation:

My parents were less interested in what the pursuit was, so long as you pursued it with excellence. That is really the Nigerian mentality: putting your best self into it. It’s not about being number one, but no Nigerian parent will ever complain about that! My mom always said ‘I have never heard of nothing coming from hard work. I don’t know when it will come, but it will come.’

On Those she appreciate for believing in her and molding her image, she said:

When I first started, I met with different agents that tried to fix me in some way, which implied that something was wrong. I appreciate, respect and enjoy the person that I see in the mirror. I have always wanted to be surrounded by people who also appreciate those things. From my lawyer to my glam team, they enjoy me as Uzo and where I stand today. There has never been any pressure to be more or else than who I am.

Asked if success is her validation, she said:

I would not necessarily call it a validation in that context because that makes it seem as if I am seeking validation outside of myself. To some degree we all are, but more than that, I feel grateful that the work is being recognized. And not just my own, but the work of the entire cast and the type of show and who is on it, frankly. [Laughs] It is outside of the norm. To see women of color, gender stories, orientation stories actually proves a hypothesis: that an audience exists for the stories we are telling.

On if success has affected her:

It has afforded me opportunities. I am here working on this incredible movie right now with Oscar-nominated actors which is a direct result of my work on Orange. Before, if someone called my name on the street, I knew that the person knew me. [Laughs] Now, if someone calls my name they may not know me, but they are very clear on what my name is and my resume! That’s new. My family dynamic and dear friends have not changed. I have been introduced to amazing people that I have looked up to and respected over the years and to now call them colleagues and friends is amazing. But, really, as far as my personal life, the only thing that has changed is my apartment!

Are you just going to read without airing you views? Oya use the comment box below. Thanks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Dumped My Baby Mama, Dewunmi Fatai – Actor, Lolade Mustapha

Lynxxx Will Thrill You In ‘Ghana Girls’ Video